Defined as the promotion of a brand and its product through sports
Sports marketing. What exactly is it, and why does it matter? It is defined as the promotion of a brand and its product through sports. This marketing niche allows you to utilize the pre-established audience of sports fans. It also allows you to leverage the popularity generated by sports events to promote a brand or product.
People commonly associate sports marketing with Super Bowl ads, and celebrity-endorsed products like energy drinks. This form of marketing allows you to promote your brand as one that supports a healthy and active lifestyle that is desired by people all around the globe.
Below you’ll find the top 3 sports marketing strategies, which are as follows:
- Focus your target audience
- Create engaging content
- Build brand partnerships
1. Focus your target audience
Cater to specific audiences
It’s essential to narrow down and understand your target audience. This means a specific group of people that you will direct your marketing efforts towards. You will need to cater to the niches of specific audiences using the following characteristics:
- Be wary of local sports teams and athletic fan favourites, and the scale at which you are targeting your marketing strategy (local, regional, national, etc).
- The customer base’s income may reveal important information about spending habits and consumer choice.
- Level of athleticism
- Your targeted customers will have varying levels of athleticism, and will seek different products and services as a result. Someone who shoots basketball hoops in the driveway from time to time is not going to be purchasing the same products as a D1 college athlete.
- Lifestyle and interests
- Knowing the lifestyle choices and interests of your audience will better inform your marketing strategy. Whether your customer is interested in hockey, baseball, gymnastics, or basketball will change the way you market your product or service.
- Additionally, knowing whether your customers are athletes or just fans of the sport will affect their consumer choices. A volleyball player may look for knee guards whereas a purely avid fan may not.
2. Create engaging content
Tap into the vast following of celebrity sports figures
Major trends in the sports marketing world are ever changing. However, customers are continuously interested in engaging content with their favourite players.
Being able to tap into the vast network of enthusiastic sports fans opens the doors to a reliable customer pool, especially through celebrity sports figures. A significant amount of fans follow their favourite teams on social media, which already creates an existing vast channel for you to direct your digital marketing efforts.
An excellent source of inspiration in this area is Nike. Therefore, using content marketing through Youtube videos and Twitter that feature interactions between your brand and a popular player significantly increases appeal and engagement.
3. Build brand partnerships
Increase exposure for your brand through sports events and teams
It is not uncommon for sports teams to partner with sports brands, which has a powerful positive impact in drawing in potential customers.
Brands may be in charge of producing team jerseys and equipment such as helmets and other protective gear, and these brand logos may appear on stadiums and court floors.
Featuring brand logos at sports events and on the players invites a ton of exposure and opens up further avenues for potential customer flows.
Sports marketing is the promotion of a brand through sports, and involves tapping into the vast pre-established network of sports fans everywhere. It is key to cater your marketing strategy to your target audience in terms of their unique characteristics, such as lifestyle and location, in order to increase your brand’s appeal to a specific audience.
In conjunction, creating engaging content that features interactions between your brand and a celebrity sports figure is a go-to strategy for many athletic name brands, with Nike reigning in this strategy.
Finally, building strong partnerships with popular teams allows for much greater exposure to potential customers and gives your brand greater credibility and clout.
- 5 Essential Sports Marketing Strategies
- SPORTS MARKETING GUIDE TO EFFECTIVELY MARKET TEAMS AND ATHLETES