Digital marketing is promotion of products on the internet or through any other type of electronic media to market a product or service to a specific group of people or businesses. Today’s products and services are digitally introduced through advertising, making them accessible to customers at all times.
- Digital marketing originated in the 1990s as a notion or goal. It is thought that the year that the term “digital marketing” was first used was the year established as a milestone. With the introduction of the internet and the creation of the Web 1.0 platform, things really got started. A platform that lets users to search for information but does not allow them to distribute it over the internet.
- The first clickable banner went up in 1993, signaling the start of the digital marketing age. As a result, new digital marketing technology is being introduced (e.g Yahoo was launched). Individuals and corporations were given access to an internet gateway with search engines and a directory of world wide web sites structured in a hierarchy of issue areas. Offering a structured view of hundreds of thousands of websites and millions of web pages to both new and experienced web users.
3. In 1998, the dominant powerhouse Google was born, assisting in the first sharp rise in the world of digital marketing. When search engine traffic grew to 6.44 billion in a single month, it was claimed to be a record.
For more information https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.britannica.com/topic/Google-Inc&ved=2ahUKEwjtoJSYw4byAhUERkEAHWneDUIQFjAdegQIKRAC&usg=AOvVaw226tzBsn_P55lty98NRU3r
4. The arrival of Web 2.0 welcomed active participation rather than remaining passive users, resulting in a super information high. Allowing users to engage with other users and businesses leads to an increase in the volume of information flowing through channels used by digital marketers.
5. The development of social networking sites (MySpace was the first, followed by Facebook) signaled the start of a new chapter in the history of business. Introducing new resources necessitates organizations investing in new organizations in order to promote their brands and take use of social media platforms. 3196 billion individuals use social media on a regular basis. Spending 2 hours and 33 minutes on social media across several platforms is a good idea. The following is a breakdown of the 50.1 percent of time spent on mobile:
• Facebook cast people an average of 2 hours and 24 minutes each day
• YouTube average of 40 minutes each day
• Instagram 28 minutes each day
• Pinterest ideas 14 minutes each day
Although digital marketing is in a constant state if flux now business of all types have switched gears to leverage digital channels such as
• Search engines
• Social media
• Many more resources
All of this is in line with the goal of growing sales and profits by raising brand awareness in order to interact with present and potential customers, all of which is measured against a shared goal of investing in digital marketing.
- As a concept or purpose, digital marketing emerged in the 1990s. The year the term “digital marketing” was first used is regarded to be the year that was designated as a turning point.
- In 1993, the first clickable banner was shown, signifying the beginning of the digital marketing era
- The emergence of Web 2.0 encouraged active engagement rather than passive consumption, resulting in a super-high level of information.
- The emergence of social networking sites (the first of which was MySpace, followed by Facebook) signified the beginning of a new era in business history.