In recent years YouTube has become the second largest search engine. It is one of the biggest digital platforms that grow increasingly in the marketing hub as more viewers engage every day. YouTube channel can also provide a low-cost to no-cost way to create a social marketing channel for your business. Being a YouTuber is a brand new way of being popular, successful, and making money. However, success is not attained in an unplanned way. Being successful on YouTube takes careful planning and implementation. These 9 steps are essential parts of planning a successful YouTube channel.
- 1. Define your short-term and long-term goals. Goals are the guidance of your direction in your way of success. Try to write your short-term goals for a week, month, 3 months. Then state your long-term goals for a year or years. State at least 2-3 goals that you want to achieve and set a specific timeline such as deadlines for each goal. Be sure realistic and clear when you set goals. Do not try to set high expectations that are impossible or unrealistic, otherwise, you would be demotivated if you do not reach your goals. When you are setting goals do not go beyond your content because you can lose your real track.
- 2. Know what “success” means to you. What is your success idea? Maybe video views, conversions, deep engagement with your brand, getting more subscribers, making money. Try to define what you see as a success and keep your focus on it, anything else is just a bonus.
- 3. Develop your channel’s content. Remember that there are tons of videos on YouTube and think why people should watch yours. While you are talking or taking videos you are developing your brand personality. The easiest way to be unique is just to be yourself. Even if there are millions of videos on the same topic as yours do not hesitate to upload your videos. Maybe you will be the preferences of most people in the future. Believe in yourself while creating content.
- 4. Target audience is a vital part of every industry including YouTube. Your videos cannot satisfy everyone. Therefore, choose and be clear on your target audience. Think about a specific type of people who you want to be heard by. Think like them and adjust your video type, setting, format based on your target audience. Know exactly who you are talking to and what you want to deliver to your audience. Select a target audience that your videos can create value for them.
- 5. Be consistent. No matter which type of content you are producing be consistent on timing and type. Set a schedule that when you want to post your videos and stick on it. Regularly release your videos on the same day of the week as your audience knows when to expect your uploads. Consistency is not only about timing, but also about the content you create, be clear on your content and try not to lose track. Create a loyal audience for your channel.
- 6. Select a language that overlaps with your goals. If you want to be heard globally it is a must to know and speak English in your videos. However, if you want to deliver your ideas in your native language to your country’s people you can record your videos in your own language. It indeed depends on the purpose of your channel that whether you want to be watched globally or locally.
- 7. Use relevant social media accounts to promote your YouTube videos and get traffic to your channel. Social media helps you to get more followers and inform them when you upload a video. You can make teaser posts on your social media before posting videos, making your audience more interested in your content.
- 8. Mind your SEO. YouTube is a very popular search engine people use it to discover content. By choosing the right keywords you increase your chance to be seen, found. Use YouTube’s Keyword Tool to find popular searches within your space. You have to be strategic, do research, and know what you target. Google includes YouTube videos in its search results. Therefore, consider this feature and do your research on Google to get as high traffic to your channel as possible.
- 9. Key Performance Indicators and Metrics are used to evaluate and compare results throughout the time. A YouTube KPI or metric is an evaluative measurement tool used for video content performance on the YouTube social media channel. It is based on defining the right factors needed to establish successful content, essential for a lucrative social media video strategy. Here is the complete list of the most important YouTube KPIs and metrics.
- Total Watch Time: How long have users watched my videos?
- Total Amount of Video Views: Which videos are particularly interesting?
- Viewer Retention: Are my videos captivating viewers?
- Video Engagement: How do viewers react to my videos?
- Number of Subscribers: How many subscribers have I gained or lost?
- Daily Active Users (DAU): How many people are watching daily?
- Traffic Source: Where does my traffic come from?
- Subscribers’ Demographics: Where do my subscribers come from?
About the author
Elnara Mammadzada- Brand Marketing Analyst Intern at International Institute of Digital Marketing™