The number of social global media platforms available and their usage is continuously rising in today’s digital world. Hence it is becoming more and more important to decide on the right platform for digital marketing to reach the target audience for efficient digital marketing.
It’s estimated that nearly 3.2 billion people use social media regularly, and many of those people don’t just follow their friends and family—they follow brands.
Some of the most popular platforms for brand development and marketing include:
Nonetheless, there’s no single platform that’s best for all businesses.
WHICH IS THE BEST PLATFORM FOR DIGITAL MARKETING?
Each social media platform’s users’ activity varies by age, location, and gender, so it’s important to do your research.
If you need some help figuring out where your target audience spends the most time, there’s plenty of online resources such as Pew Research Center for key demographic information for various social media platforms.
For instance, if you consider only the number of users of social media channels one would think Facebook is the best platform for brand promotion. However if your target is millennial teens and women, Instagram will be returning you with more gain of followers.
Above schematic gives some brief and important information about the social media channels used worldwide.
Depending on their purpose of usage and preferred age/gender (demographics) their primary functionality for digital marketing also stated. For example, YouTube is the best-used channel for brand awareness while Twitter suits best for public relations.
Before deciding on the type of social media platform one has to be clear about some aspects:
- Type of the customer.
- The age of the target customers.
- Gender of customers.
- Income and education level of customers.
- What are they interested in outside of your product and service?
Once the attributes of the customers have been defined one has to define the goals for reaching the audience. For instance, Netflix is using Twitter in order to manage its customer support issues and some of the global brands are posting videos on YouTube for brand awareness.
Also, the popularity of the platforms and their preferability can change from region to region with respect to age and gender.
Here is some analysis of some social media platforms for preferences:
Facebook reports over 2.7 billion users and is the most popular. It’s important to remember how individuals use Facebook: to build relationships and keep in contact with old friends. This makes Facebook a good platform for building the loyalty of your existing customer base.
Here are some facts about Facebook:
Daily active users account for 66% of Facebook’s monthly active users.
The typical user will: like 12 posts, make 5 comments, share 1 Facebook post, and click on 12 ads each month.
Almost 80% of all Facebook users globally access the platform only via a mobile device.
The downside to Facebook is that it may be hard to reach a new audience; due to its large population, your posts have a limited reach-even within your own networks.
Businesses can choose from a variety of options, including professional pages, paid post promotion, and native advertising.
As you assess Facebook as a potential platform, carefully consider your business goals.
If you’re trying to acquire new business, Facebook might not be your best option, but if you’re building a dedicated following of clients and you need a way to keep in touch with them, this is a great option for your business.
In the case that your customers fall into any of these groups, Facebook is a must:
- Seniors (55+): Facebook is growing with this demographic as it’s where they can see pictures of their grandchildren and family.
- Foreign markets: Unlike other social media sites, Facebook is used pretty universally all over the world. It’s especially common in Middle-Eastern countries and Europe, though less common in Asia.
- Small niche market: Facebook is home to many “Groups” where people of unique interests congregate. If you own small niche business, Facebook might have an entire group of potential customers.
Instagram is one of the fastest-growing platforms, especially among a young audience. Instagram relies on photos or videos for conversation.
Therefore, it’s much harder to find seniors on Instagram, which has a primary audience of millennials and teens, but Instagram’s international following is similar to that of Facebook.
Some Instagram statistics one should know :
- 51% of all Instagram users worldwide are female.
- One-third of Instagram’s users are ages 25 to 34.
- Following the USA, the countries with the most Instagram users in the world are: India (120 million), Brazil (95 million), Indonesia (78 million) and Russia (54 million.)
The distinguishing factor on Instagram is its reliance on pictures; to be successful on this platform, you must produce high-quality images and video content. This is difficult for many small businesses, but it’s worth it in the end. Instagram also offers paid advertising options.
As a result, this platform works really well for visual-based businesses, like art, food, retail, and beauty. Because it’s a growing platform, there’s less noise than Facebook. This means the platform is useful for generating leads because your reach is wider.
Pinterest is used for “scrapbooking” or, in other words, saving content by “pinning” photos or videos to a virtual bulletin board.
Consequently, female users dominate the Pinterest demographic. Some of the most common pins are recipes, style ideas, striking photographs, and DIY crafts.
Some facts about Pinterest to know are :
- As of September 2020, Pinterest has 442 million monthly active users.
- In terms of usage: 98% of people use Pinterest to try new things, 89% use it to inspire purchases and 85% of Pinners use the social media platform to start a new project.
- More than 60% of Pinterest’s global audience are women.
- The percentage of male Pinners is increasing 50% year-over-year.
- 53% of female Internet users in the USA access Pinterest. And 18% of male Internet users in the States access Pinterest.
Since Pinterest is a visual-based platform, you’ll need strong graphics to engage users. Successful business use of Pinterest has been linked to strong retail sales.
Twitter is an excellent platform to build awareness for your brand. Twitter utilizes the hashtag, which organizes conversations around a word or phrase.
By searching hashtags, you can learn what people are talking about so you can craft your tweets to take part in popular conversations. Why would you do this? Because Twitter can offer insight into what topics are trending,
Twitter is often used by news outlets to find stories. Since Twitter is often used to provide real time updates to an audience, many brands combine Twitter with offline engagement, such as events.
Some demoraphics about Twitter include:
- In November 2020, the number of monthly active users reached 353 million.
- 28.9% of Twitter users worldwide are between the ages of 24 and 34. And 57.1% of Twitter users worldwide are aged 25 to 49.
- Twitter is used more by males than females. 70% of Twitter’s advertising audience are male and 30% are female.
- Japan (51.9 million), India (18.9 million), and Brazil (16.65 million) have the most Twitter users following the USA.
The most business-oriented form of social media, LinkedIn is a great way to connect with other businesses and professionals. LinkedIn has the distinction of being the most utilized platform for older audiences. It boasts the largest users among ages 30-49.
LinkedIn is also unique because it has a narrow focus. People use LinkedIn to search for jobs and to network professionally.
It’s an older platform that relies less on media content and more on text-based updates.
While LinkedIn is a great place to form connections and find employees, it’s not the best platform for large-scale marketing or gimmicky campaigns. It is, however, perfect for B2B small businesses and niches.
Here are some facts about Linkedin:
- There are 722 million LinkedIn members worldwide.
- 40 million people use LinkedIn each week to search for jobs — and 3 people are hired each minute.
- 43% of users are female; 57% are male.
- 59.9% of all LinkedIn users worldwide are aged 25 to 34. The next biggest user base of this social platform is the 18 to 24 age group, making up 20.3%.
As a result, the platform is useful for B2B lead generation, general networking, as well as recruiting employees.
Although YouTube boasts 2.3 billion users, its reach extends far past that. You don’t have to sign up to be a user to view content on YouTube. As a result, YouTube has become one of the biggest search engine platforms. Many of these searches are for “How To” videos.
Service industry businesses that can offer this type of content work well on this platform, along with lifestyle and educational videos.
Some demographics about Youtube include:
- YouTube has more than 2 billion users worldwide.
- YouTube has over 126 million unique monthly viewers.
- The average visitor spends 17 minutes and 22 seconds on YouTube daily.
- There are local versions of YouTube in over 100 different countries.
- YouTubers are most likely to be in the USA, followed by India, then Japan.
This brief information will give an insight into what one should consider for efficient digital marketing. More detailed analysis before deciding on social media posting will result in better results. Also, tracking the overall success of postings from different platforms when started from scratch can give an idea.
You can read more about digital marketing on our institute’s blogs site.
About the Author
Zafer Tanrıverdi is a Digital Marketing Analyst at International Institute of Digital Marketing™.