A food and beverage Survey from L.E.K. Consulting, a Management consulting company asked about attitudes and preferences toward healthy, sustainable foods and beverages to around 1,600 consumers. Amongst their findings, the three most relevant were:
- Consumers look for claims that communicate specific attributes related to health and wellness, ethics, and the environment.
- Consumers want their food to have an increasingly wide range of benefits.
- Consumers will pay more for food that delivers the benefits it claims.
As more Healthier food options are becoming available to consumers nowadays, we will guide you to develop a Digital Marketing Strategy Plan to differentiate your restaurant from others by showing your outstanding recipes through a powerful online presence.
Digital Marketing Strategy Plan
Digital Marketing is everywhere, influencing our everyday decisions and it is something that becomes more salient because of its efficacy to communicate with your customers.
- The first step we will implement to make this digital marketing plan triumph will be to define attainable short and long term goals
- Short-Term Goals:
- In two months we will enhance our presence through social media by gaining 10% more followers on our different platforms.
- In three months we will be able to engage with my audience effectively by posting easy homemade healthy recipes every day on our social media platforms
- Long-Term Goals:
- In eight months we want to gain a minimum of 6,000 new followers on Facebook and Instagram.
- In nine months we will have created at least three new, innovative, unique recipes that can only be found at our restaurant.
Next, we will understand and define our target audience.
- According to “Consumer Reports” an American nonprofit consumer organization, 38% of respondents to a survey claimed their diet was “very” or “extremely” healthy. In order to understand who our customers are we will set them into potential categories that they could fall into.
- Health-Conscious People: this type of people generally prefer to eat local, organic, and shop at farmer’s markets. We could advertise the uniqueness of the ingredients used at our restaurant and show that we only use fresh products.
- Weight-Conscious People: This type of audience is motivated to lose some pounds or to maintain a healthy weight. In order to market to this audience, we could focus on making a menu-friendly design that shows calorie counts and add a low-calorie section.
- Special Diets: People who are on special diets are a great audience to pursue because you could differentiate your restaurant by adding vegan, gluten-free, allergy-free, and low-carb options to your menu, additionally we could market these options highlighting them as tasty and clearly labeled to make them appealing to this market.
- Active People: This type of audience generally performs activities such as running, spinning, hiking, or regularly attends the gym. We could target these people by adding active images as decorations for the restaurant inside in order for them to feel an active vibe.
After clearly defining our digital marketing goals and our target audience for the restaurant we will move on to researching our competition.
- Researching your competition is crucial because you can analyze what they lack and implement it yourself, also you can brainstorm what your business is missing that the others may offer.
- Don’t limit yourself from researching only nearby competition, because we are living in a digital era and even online businesses can steal potential customers.
- Some of the things that you could do to research other health-based restaurants could be:
- Visit their restaurants (check out their interior/exterior design, customer service, menu options, quality of the food they serve)
- Visit their online social media platforms and website to understand their business vision and mission.
- Review the online delivery apps to know more about the services they offer.
- Read the reviews that people comment online, to gain a better insight into what they are lacking and excelling at.
In order to achieve our goals and be able to speak to our audience clearly, we need to be efficient and creative. Our Digital Marketing strategy will be the following,
- Create a website: If you haven’t created a website, it is a good time to start! Websites are helpful to communicate to your target audience about your business mission and vision. It could be a great opportunity to incorporate your online menu so that consumers can look at their options in advance. It could also give customers the advantage to make online reservations or placing their order for pick-up.
- Instagram and Facebook: these two social media platforms are two of the most used by internet users around the world (depends on your restaurant location), therefore it would be of great benefit to enhance your presence and connect with your customers digitally by posting daily healthy recipes to engage with them, and to post pictures of your delicious menu creations.
- Content marketing: relevant content is crucial to connect with your customers, posting interesting content to your online platforms could give you a positive sales boost. An example could be to post the health benefits that your different menu options offer.
- Online Videos: advertise the creation of your bestsellers by creating a video that demonstrates the passion that your restaurant has for healthy and organic food.
- Paid online ads through Social Media advertising: Boost your online presence by investing through online advertisement in order to reach a broader audience and connect with other healthy foodies out there that may not be aware of your restaurant.
Learn from your reviews and continue to create content consistently by creating a schedule to follow. Lastly, make sure to show what your business stands for and offer unique healthy, delicious recipes that no one can resist. Remember to be unique, consistent, and innovative!
Written by: Gladys Diaz, Digital Marketing Analyst at International Institute of Digital Marketing.