I have to admit, we are a weird bunch and sometimes it can be challenging to market to us. With a generation that spends almost all of their time online, we lose interest very quickly. Therefore, if what is being presented to us is not as amusing or comical as the newest TikTok trend or someone making miniature burgers in a miniature kitchen, we will often not even give it a second thought.
So, the main question, and probably the reason why you are reading this blog post, is how can you successfully target Gen Z through digital marketing? There are two things that I can guarantee by the end of this blog post. 1 – Gen Zers will probably not read the entire article since their attention span is so short. 2 – The perfect recipe for your brand marketing.
- Create content that is relatable to Gen Z
- Memes (photos or videos that are humorous and copied and easily spread by internet users, often with slight variations)
- Short TikTok styled videos
- Aesthetic videos/content (What does this even mean, you may ask. This includes videos that follow a specific theme, whether this is a bright & clean feel or a dark and moody feel. This may give feelings of warmth, nostalgia or even a “you have your life together” feel).
- DO NOT abuse the use of popular acronyms or slang as this might make you seem like you’re trying too hard to fit in. Definitely not cool!
- Gen Z are the more racially and ethnically diverse group therefore be relatable.
- They are often well informed about environmental issues and tend to support brands that care for the environment.
- Using relatable people in marketing campaigns works really well!
Clever Marketing Tactics:
- Gen Zers are interested in brands that create an opportunity to collab.
- Be sure to have active brand engagements. This may include:
- Participate in product review
- Creating content for brand competitions
- Product idea submissions
- Attending brand events
- Use Social Media – Tik Tok & Instagram! 70%-74% of Gen Zers have had social media profiles since the age of 12.
- Create videos as 85% use videos when researching products.
- Entertaining content always wins!
- Use Influencer marketing smartly! Using micro influencers with a following between 5000-10 000 yield better results than influencers with hundreds of thousands of followers.
On average Gen Zers have an attention span of 8 seconds so keep your content simple.
So, what’s my point?
If you take anything away from this blog post it is to ensure that your digital marketing is exciting, new, relatable, simple and entertaining. Use social media and create short videos as this seems to be most successful. Ensure that your brand engages with their customers and cares about environmental and social issues. If you want grow your business and learn more about digital marketing visit The International Institute of Digital Marketing.
You can thank me later 😉
About the author: