- Essentially, digital marketing is a term used to describe any marketing efforts that take place on the internet or on a digital device.
- Businesses leverage digital channels to connect with current and prospective customers.
- You are using the internet to distribute your marketing materials or you are promoting a particular product or service.
Why is it important?
- Digital marketing helps you reach a larger audience than you could through traditional methods.
- You can target prospective customers who are most likely to buy your product or service.
- It is more cost effective than traditional methods of advertising.
- Digital marketing makes it easy for you to track your campaigns, which allows you to adapt and get better results.
Benefits of digital marketing
- It is cheap and all you need is the internet.
- You are able to track campaigns on a daily basis which decreases the amount of money you are spending on a certain channel.
- You can measure it. Digital marketing can give you a start to finish view on your marketing strategies.
- The world is your limit.
Types of digital marketing used
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Sponsored content
- Content marketing
- Online PR
- Social media marketing
- Pay per click (PPC)
- Affiliate marketing
- Email marketing
- Inbound marketing
Search engine optimization (SEO)
- SEO is the process of improving your site to increase its visibility when people search for products or services related to your business in Google,Bing and other search engines.
- The better the visibility the more likely you are to get attention and attract prospective and existing customers to your business.
- You as a brand pay another company or entity to create and promote content that discusses your brand or service in some way.
- Is a type of marketing that involves the creation and sharing of online material that does not explicitly promote a brand but is intended to stimulate interest in its products or services.
- It’s much like traditional PR but in the online space.
- Online PR is an online marketing strategy used by businesses to increase their online presence.
- Digital PR agencies network with journalists,bloggers and influencers and send online press releases to gain high quality backlinks, social media mentions and improve their SEO.
Social media marketing
- Is the use of social media platforms and websites to promote a product or service.
- This practice is used to increase brand awareness,drive traffic and generate leads for your business.
- The channels you can use are Facebook,Twitter,Instagram,Linkedin and snapchat.
- A model of internet marketing in which advertisers pay a fee each time one of their ads is clicked.
- Essentially it’s a way of buying visits to your site,rather than attempting to earn those visits organically.
- This is a type of performance based advertising where you receive commission for promoting someone else’s products or services on your website.
- Companies use email marketing as a way of communicating with their audiences.
- Emails are often used to promote content,discounts and events as well to direct people towards the businesses website
- Refers to a marketing approach when you attract and engage and delight customers at every stage of the buyer’s journey.
- You can use every marketing tactic, to create a customer experience that works with the customer, not against. .
- Digital marketing affects people’s interactions,work,purchases and habits.
- Digital marketing has had a great impact on the traditional ways of marketing.
- In a study conducted by a marketing firm, it was found that people are more likely to follow brands than celebrities on social media.
Written by Ashley Augustus. I am an intern at the International Institute of Digital Marketing. I am eager to learn and improve my skills.
LinkedIn: Ashley Augustus