Woolworths marketing strategy
Every customer needs and wants mostly revolve around a supermarket. The COVID-19 crisis has affected every market and customer shopping experience. Therefore, markets had to reevaluate their marketing strategy to become more relevant to post-COVID environments. Businesses need to evolve and remain purposeful while trading in the pandemic and position themselves to long-term and sustainable growth to benefit both consumers and employees.
Woolworths (known as woolies) retail chain is owned by Woolworths Holdings Limited- a South African based international retail company. The business consists of a full-line fashion, home and beauty stores, many of which have been incorporated by food retail offerings. Woolworth is famous for its clothing and accessory items which fall under many premium brands.
Measuring current success
A good marketing plan, depends on focusing on the right products and marketing mix making it easy for business to achieve its target and goals.
- Product- groceries, stationery, housewares, jewelry, bedding and clothing. They also provide a variety of choice in brands from Studio W, RE: and Edition. These product and brands helped cater for all customer satisfaction.
- Price- Woolworths always attempt to maintain a slightly high prices than in the market because of its quality. It offers a variety of premium brands in food and clothing, thus the prices are kept competitive in the market. They also offer vouchers and discounts.
- Place- They are operated globally and digitally through online services.
- Promotion- Marketing communications through advertising and sales promotions and through media.
Aim and objectives
- Increasing customer satisfaction- providing the best range of products, services, price, value and quality to its customers.
- Maximizing its profit.
- Providing the best shopping experience to its customers.
Main goal is to “create a better experience together for a better tomorrow”. Making sure that customer needs come first and creating a team-first culture as the core of decision making.
Food strategy focus:
- Offer- ensure customers put Woolworths first.
- Growth- meet more customers’ needs through innovation.
- Efficiency- creating customer value by organizing for success.
Woolworths digital fingerprint
- Website- Woolworths has its own website- www.woolworths.co.za,where you are able to read up about them and their goods and services they provide, along with prices.
- Social media-They also engage in several social media platforms such as twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram- showcasing current special offers, clothing ranges and food products. They do this by using Socialbakers builder analytics where the audience differs through these different channels.
- Online app- Woolworths has an online app store which is currently known as the best online shopping platform (woolworths.co.za). The app has been updated on Android and IOS.
“ We put the customers first, and then we’ve established our online strategy around that. Data is our driver here. Who is our customer? What do they want? Where do they want to be met? And that is 99 percent of our focus. Everything else we develop to meet that need.” – Nikki Cockroft, Group Head of Woolworths’ online operations.
Unique selling position
- Known for its quality & sustainability.
- Give a competitive edge.
- Offer customer value with value.
- Integrity brand.
Focus market segmentation
Instead of just targeting one specific customer , Woolies arranged their company’s target market into segments and this led to more efficiency with their time , money & other resources. Market segmentation also reduces the risk of unsuccessful market campaigns.
- Age – All age groups
- Gender – All gender type
- Income levels – average and above social class
- Family life cycle – Bachelor , newly married , full rest & empty rest
- Culture – No specific culture but caters for all
- Life-Demand for certain products to suit lifestyles are high at Woolworths.
- Values- Woolworths believe in treating everyone with respect & promotes different values.
- Personality traits -Different brands target different personalities.
- Woolies local retailers sell a variety of product categories appealing to different demographic’s therefore used the local geographic segmentation in their marketing efforts.
- Two sided habits of how customers base and use products or services. If a customers are highly satisfied with your product or services, they will be loyal to your businesses.
- Woolies are in the differentiation strategy- maintain competitive advantage in the market through quality products.
- Competitors are- Walmart,UMS, MERA, MUJI.
Content (Increase audience)
- Getting to know the target audience- who they are, what they want, how they want to engage on social media and when they want to have contact. Woolworths are technically up-to-date so that customers are informed through several social media platforms.
- An Audience- focused social media solution- meet audiences in places they want to be met, when they want to be met.
- Looping in stakeholders- managing internal strategy and expectations.
- Competitive advantage- provides data; gives portrait of fans on each network; reveal posting times; easy and effective and keeps the online team aligned with department.
How to improve SEO
- Keywords analytics
- Tighter Ad Groups
- Deep Linking
- Relevant site-linking
- Dynamic Search Campaigns
- Clear use of Ad copy space
- Match type Triangulation
- Refining marketing
- Device and time schedule
- Achieve results
Short description of author
My name is Leandi Smith, 22 Years of Age. I currently reside in Cape Town, South Africa. My passion lies in Digital Marketing and to create opportunities for the next generation.