A lot of data from your PPC (pay-per-click) campaign and you don’t have any idea what to do with it?
That is an ordinary story when it comes to Digital Marketing using PPC Campaigns. They give us a lot of opportunities and data, but to get the best is important to know, understand and optimize all those. In this article, we will show you the best PPC practice to increase your goals.
Before discussing our TOP Metrics in PPC, we should understand what is the meaning of KPI in your PPC Strategy. KPI (key performance indicators) in Digital Marketing are units of measurement that help you examine the success of your digital campaigns.
But firstly it is very important to know what are your goals, because it depends on them, firstly, which are the most important KPIs for your campaigns that you need to track.
So, which are the best metrics that you should follow and improve?
Below is our TOP:
In PPC the Quality score was and still is one of the most important metrics to follow in your campaigns. Even if there are quite a lot of opinions about its most of the time “inadequacy” when it comes to how it is calculated by google algorithm.
But, whatever these aspects are, this metric continues to be important in your campaign optimization if you want a good performance from all your data.
So, briefly, what is this Quality Score?
The definition given by Google is: “Quality Score is a diagnostic tool meant to give you a sense of how well your ad quality compares to other advertisers. This score is measured on a scale from 1—10 and is available at the keyword level. A higher Quality Score means that your ad and landing page are more relevant and useful to someone searching for your keyword, compared to other advertisers.”
Additionally, this metric has an influence on others like CTR, CPC, ROAS, ad relevance, and vice versa, consequently, only by increasing this KPI, you optimize your Quality Score.
CTR (click-through rate) is the percentage of people that viewed your ad and clicked on it. That is one of the most important metrics that you need to track in your PPC Strategy. Meanwhile, you need to know that its number depends on the industry that you work in or the digital marketing channel that you use, your target location (here you can find some more information about that).
Therefore, it helps you to understand if your campaign is running well. If your chosen target is right for you or if the copy is doing good and give you results.
How to improve CTR?
- use ad extension for your campaigns;
- adjust your bidding (if you don’t use a smart bidding strategy);
- adjust your copy/creative or test different types of it;
- use your group keywords in your ads headline and description, make your ad relevant for the searches which it corresponds;
- add personalized audience segments to your campaigns;
- increase your Quality Score.
The definition of this metric is the percentage of impressions that your ads receive compared to the total number of impressions that your ads from PPC campaigns could get.
Hence, it helps you to understand what was your possibilities of being shown your ad and what you actually have. It offers you a general image of how is doing your PPC Campaigns compared to the competition.
How to improve Impression Share:
- adjust your budget and bidding;
- increase the relevance and quality of your ad;
- filter your search keywords;
- use negative keywords lists.
The Conversion Rate metric helps you to understand how is doing your website conversion and what are the possibilities to transform your clicks in them. It is showing you how many times a user could do a conversion on your website and if this KPI is low, then you should follow the steps below for better results of your PPC campaign.
How to improve Conversion Rate:
- use more specific keywords (for example: not “flowers” but instead “flower bouquets price”);
- don’t forget to use negative keywords, to clean your traffic;
- improve your website landing page;
- apply Call-to-action in your ad and on your landing page;
- use numbers in your ad, like price, percentage, etc;
- use price products extension.
ROAS (return on ad spend) is one of the most important metrics to track if you have an e-commerce website and especially if you use Shopping Ads.
It gives you the percentage of revenue that a PPC campaign brings to you depending on the invested budget. In the same way, like CTR, it depends on a lot of other factors, but a good ROAS has still be considered if it is greater than 200%.
How to improve ROAS:
- target the right audience;
- try different types of bidding strategies focused on conversions, choose the one who gives you the best results;
- improve your Quality Score;
- build your ROAS strategy after you had gained enough data on your account;
- increase your conversion value;
- review the ROAS result at least one time in two weeks.
CONCLUSION ABOUT TOP PPC METRICS
In conclusion, when it comes to what type of metrics you need to track in your PPC strategy it’s important to note that is very important to know what are they about. Just so you will be able to analyze, therefore, optimize your data to achieve the best result. Moreover, this KPI is part of a bigger machine that for better work doesn’t need just a bigger budget, likewise, you have to optimize all its components like keywords, ad relevance, bidding strategy, landing page experience, and so on. To conclude, keep being curious and keep trying, is the best that you can do for the best results!
For more information visit our IIDM Blog!
Loreta Cicala: Intern as a Digital Marketing Analyst at International Institute of Digital Marketing™ and PPC Specialist at a Digital Agency in Romania.