Definition of Scrum Master
A scrum master is someone who implements a project to meet the expectations of the client. He is a team leader who motivates and supports his team members to ensure successful completion of the project.
Background of Scrum Master
Typically, people from these backgrounds become scrum masters. However, a successful scrum master can come from any background as long as he/she is adept at influencing people, is passionate to delight customers, is driven by his motive of serving his team, has experience in the domain or the product that his/her teams are working on, and understands scrum well.
Companies who use scrum
Here are some of the most prominent organisations using Scrum:
Top 5 skills every scrum master must have
1. Being goal-oriented
- The scrum master will do his best to keep his team members from being distracted from unwanted meetings and help his team members to focus on the goals set.
- Staying focused can help the Scrum Master work on the highest impact tasks
- The scrum master must keep challenging herself as well as the team they coach to handle increasingly challenging goals.
- The satisfaction of accomplishing bigger and complex goals adds further momentum and helps the scrum master perform with the flow.
2. Be a mentor
- The scrum master will be a mentor to his team members, encouraging collaboration during planning sessions, observing the work of team members on a daily basis and sharing experiences to guide them.
- An effective scrum master may empower the team to think and solve their challenges.
- It takes years of deliberate practice to move from telling and to move to asking questions.
- With practice, the scrum master can develop the skill to ask powerful questions.
3. Engage in continuous improvement
- The scrum master will streamline processes through automation and introduce best practices so that the project can be completed ahead of time.
- Most organizations have processes and policies full of waste. The scrum master must develop this skill to observe and help the team identify and remove any waste in the process and create a lean approach to develop and deliver customer value.
4. Have good interpersonal skills
- The scrum master must have good communication and listening skills for liaison with the team and customers.
- Bots will not be able to understand the complex human behavior in near future to be able to deal with it effectively
5. Be Agile
- The scrum master must be flexible to accommodate changes when faced with problems.
- The Scrum Master must teach the team to accept failures and encourage them to keep learning from the experiments. Adapting Agile Mindset sets the Scrum Master in a position to be able to help the Scrum Team.
- Persistence is required to see through any problems and achieve goals.
The most successful scrum master is someone who does well in facilitating daily scrum, possesses conflict resolution skills, is friendly and communicative, an expert in estimation and planning, is a good coach in Agile practices, helps team to clarify goals and actions, process-driven and above all, a servant first, who serves his team members before considering about himself.
Keywords: Systems Thinking, Adaptability, People Skills, Complex Problem Solving, Lean Thinking, Agile Mindset, Growth Mindset, Creativity, Empathy, Asking Questions, Collaboration, Facilitation, Rapid Decision Making, Leading and Facilitating Change, Focus, Performing with Flow, Negotiation, Intrinsic Motivation, Emotional Intelligence, Scrum Master