Written by Andrew Fourie
1.Who we are?
Our generation can adapt to all new and emerging digital innovations since we were born between 1990 and 2010. Some refer to us as the digital natives because we were born at a time when digital technology had just begun.
As people born between 1990 and 2010, we are considered to be part of the digital native generation. We were born in a special period when digital technology was beginning.
Definition of A Gen- ZER
Gen Zer – noun
a person who was born between the late 1990s and the early 2010s
2.Our unique traits
Our time is spent online or connected to digital devices! We’re more concerned with our digital privacy! We’re very adept at multitasking with various devices! We’re pragmatic (handling things sensibly and realistically)
- We spend hours online or connecting to digital devices
- Are more concerned over our digital privacy
- Excellent ability to multitask using various technologies
- Digitally savvy
- tend to be very pragmatic (dealing with things sensibly and realistically)
adapting to different forms of learning ie. zoom instructor-led
3.Gen- Zers as employees?
As an employee, we are hardworking, driven and independent. We have the ability to multitask effectively especially when using multiple apps or different software.
Even though we love being connected and love the digital space, we prefer face-to-face interaction over digital interaction.
4. Gen- Z Generation impact on digital marketing?
- By influencing people to shop more online, promoting company brands on various social platforms ie Instagram, are always digitally connected and always seeking better, newer, and fresher ideas to market a certain brand stand out
- finding fresher ways to create relevant and trendy content will increase brand awareness effectively and have more positive feedback from potential and current customers.
5. Gen Z – Influencing digital trends for 2021
- Are always quick and efficient and will create content for the correct target audience for your brand
- Gen zers are quick to pick up if you are making false statements and promises because we are resourceful and will find out if your promises made about your brand are true and not and this could harm your brand name.
- You need to diversify your marketing channels will allow us to promote on all social media platforms so your brand can be recognized and increase potential customers.
6. Our Popular slang words or phrases used
- Basic – meaning someone who likes mainstream and is unoriginal
- Bet- a word meaning approval or agreement
- Big yikes- meaning shocking or disturbing
- Drag – meaning to criticize or to make fun of
- Drip- a good sense of style or the way a person carries themselves
- Bop – meaning a really beat or a song
- Cap- meaning something that is false or is untrue
- Catch these hands – meaning to start a fight
- Ghosted- to stop communicating with someone out of the blue
- Glow up – meaning to go through a positive change
- Pressed – meaning being mad or upset
- Sending me – meaning how funny you find something
- Tea – meaning another word for gossip
IF people want to know who we are then I will politely say that we are the future.
We Make up about a quarter of the entire WORLD’S population’s workforce.
Believe in socially responsible business practices
Have a belief that “doing well by doing good” means to achieve social or financial acceptance as a result of behaving charitably towards others.
To really understand the Gen- Z generation, you would have to find out the political, economic, and social circumstances in which we were raised.
This means that digital media will play an important part in keeping us interested in up-and-coming companies as the gen z generation.
This will result in these companies being able to flourish due to their brands being marketed by this new generation that will be equipped with fresher ideas to make these different company brands stand out.
Companies that install volunteer management software will find it easier to engage with the Gen-Z generation because it will track our volunteer hours
I am Andrew Fourie from Cape Town, South Africa, and currently a Digital Marketing Analyst intern at The International Institute of digital marketing. My hobbies are swimming when the weather is warm enough # I Love Summer #millennial #Gen-Z generation